Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The first 100 days

Here's some random thoughts as I am now at 102 days into counting my carbs and exploring what life looks like with diabetes for me....
I've been recording carbs now for 102 days and have learned some things along the way - with a lot more to learn! Some random thoughts are.....
  • That sticks do get better farther down the road are better - thanks for the prayers! I've learned some of the daily tricks like staging the strip in the meter but not pushing it in all the way until I stick myself so the time isn't ticking down, holding my finger down while I'm messing with the meter's strip so it has time to form a drop, making sure I approach the drop at an angle with the strip, knowing about the size of drop I need - and thanking God for each perfect one!
  • Testing myself in pairs yields more clear information. For example testing myself pre-meal and then 2 hours pp lets me know about how much a rise there is so a 40 point rise or less is good - though a higher number pp could be because the fasting number was higher and not as much by the food always.
  • It's annoying that strips - and different lots in strips - can vary as much as 20%. That just doesn't seem right when I have to poke myself, I want actual information and this seems like a rough approximation! It does help me step back and just look more for the trends - which is easier the more numbers you have.
  • That walking - or other exercise - helps blunt spikes but I can't do it after every meal (once a day is about it!) so how does that translate to my A1C I wonder.
  • That walking around the mall and realizing that I'll never be able to eat a huge Cinnabon with abandon (I could eat it and watch my numbers soar but that's not what I'm talking about!) is depressing.
  • That eating 3 Dove promises for 15 carbs and sucking on them so they last can be very satisfying.
  • That food choices really do make a difference with how much my blood sugar goes up - and a lot of time I have control over that.
  • That my period, teeth being pulled, infections, etc can add up to blood sugar changes and there's not much control I have over that.
  • That sometimes no matter how careful my choices were at a meal, that blood sugar numbers can just be wacky (one book blames it on the Blood Glucose fairy - dysfunctional relative of the tooth fairy!)
  • That there's a lot of unknowns about what causes complications, and a lot of guilt out there about every number over (fill in the blank depending on who is talking) causing irreversible harm.
  • That like so many things, this is a lifelong journey and numbers that have been high don't come down in a week (or two or three)
  • That fasting numbers (that originally seemed to be just fine) are often the most stubborn to budge
  • That a whole host of words I never knew or cared about - such a liver dump, neuropathy, control solution, etc. are now part of my daily lingo.
  • YMMV (your mileage may vary) - which just about sums up everything!
  • God is STILL and forever in control and works all things for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment