Saturday, May 1, 2010

It's the weekend and a new month

May 1st - truly, where did this year go already! I've decided in my diabetes care that not only do I need to lean on God ever increasingly, but I need to continue to develop my support system and prayer partners. I've recruited several people for the next couple of weeks to pray for just one good drop - and that I will feel God's peace around the procedure I need to do each day. I'm not even looking at what the numbers are, just that I'm able to have the courage and peace to perform a good test so that I can gather data. This morning was a fasting test and it went better than it normally does - with a reading of 131. Tomorrow is another day - God and me in the bathroom with a lancet and test strips!

Yesterday I also weighed myself - which I really hadn't been doing at all for the last two years as I explored the Intuitive Eating concepts. Now with the diagnosis of diabetes, everyone is concerned with my weight - and specifically that it starts to decline and help my insulin resistance. So, I've pulled out my scale again and weigh myself every 2 weeks or so. This time it was down, the exercise and watching my carbs shows me that my body truly is resistant to all the carbs. Of course having daily Starbuck's White Chocolate mochas (venti of course) at 84g of carbs, may not have helped either my weight or blood glucose levels. Sure were yummy though! It's funny though, I've done alot of work on letting go of the concept that the scale judges who I am. You'd think that would translate to the glucose meter. It hasn't.

It's a new month - actually one month since I've received the diagnosis of diabetes officially. I've learned alot, I've had over 40 days where I've been watching my carbs and a couple of weeks where I've been poking myself and *trying* to get blood glucose readings. Time to take stock and continue to find my "new normal" and the path God wants me to follow. I know He has a plan for me and my life, a plan to prosper and not to harm me. Diabetes is a detour in learning about where I thought God was leading me, so time to find the road markers as we forge the new path together.

No comments:

Post a Comment